- This event has passed.
12th International Jazz Research Conference Graz -Jazz Voices
Institute for Jazz Research, University of Music & Performing Arts Graz
Vienna, Austria, May 17-20, 2018
“Jazz Voices” constitute the theme of the 12th International Jazz Research Conference Graz, 17–20 May 2018. International researchers from different disciplines, including musicology, jazz & popular music studies, media and cultural studies, sociology, history, and American studies, are invited to submit papers addressing the conference theme from diverse perspectives and approaches.
The deadline for submissions is October 31, 2017.
Although singing has been integral to jazz from its beginnings, comparatively little research has been conducted on vocal jazz and the sounds and expressions of jazz voices. The 12th International Jazz Research Conference, entitled Jazz Voices, will focus on exactly this theme. The conference will take place from 17–20 May 2018 at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Graz and will be hosted by the University’s Institute for Jazz Research, in cooperation with the International Society for Jazz Research.
International researchers from different disciplines, including musicology, jazz & popular music studies, media and cultural studies, sociology, history, and American studies, are invited to submit papers addressing the conference theme from diverse perspectives and approaches. Although not restricted to specific themes, possible topics could include:
· Histories of vocal jazz: Investigation of vocalists, genres, hybridizations, repertoires, compositions, lyrics and styles; vocal jazz ensembles, a cappella groups, and jazz choirs
· Vocal jazz sounds: Analysis of timbre, (jazz-ascribed) sounds and sound aesthetics; effects of singing and quality of emotional expression; questions of how sound affects meaning
· Jazz singing practices: Examination of specific vocal techniques (theory and practice), teaching methods and education; investigation of vocal improvisation, scat singing; experimentation with new sounds
· Vocal jazz performance: Research on liveness (authenticity, identities and personae); composition, interpretation and improvisation; interaction between voice and visual representation; jazz vocals in popular music; lead and background vocals, ensembles; studies on live performances and studio recordings, DIY productions
· Jazz and gender: Investigations into different aspects of gender; examination of gendered vocalists and instrumentalists; expressions of gender and sexuality; queer aesthetics; gender attributes; vocal registers in jazz
· Voice as a means of communication: Exploration of ways to express opinions within the jazz community, including scholars, critics, journalists, audience, and fans; jazz and politics; jazz reception; role and use of social media
· Unheard jazz voices: Investigation of marginal and unheard voices in jazz; exploration of the possibilities of obtaining a voice through jazz
· Jazz voices and the market: Research on the point of sale in jazz marketing; image creation in the jazz market
Formats and Submissions
The academic committee welcomes proposals for
· Individual papers (20 min. + 10 min. discussion): abstract of no more than 250 words
· Joint panels (60 min. + 30 min. discussion): themed session with three individual papers (20 min. each) with 250 words per paper plus a session overview of max. 250 words
· Workshops/Round table sessions (60 min. + 30 min. discussion): innovative format with an outlining abstract of up to 400 words
Please submit your proposals with the subject line “Jazz Voices 2018” by 31 October 2017 to jazzvoices(at)kug.ac.at, including the following information: title of the paper, abstract, institutional affiliation (address, phone, e-mail), and biographical overview (no more than 100 words).
Applicants will be notified no later than 1 December 2017. Updates on the conference, including registration, travel and accommodation, will be available at http://jazzforschung.kug.ac.at.
For more information, please visit the conference website.