- This event has passed.
CFP: Open Ears Festival 2018 composition competition for emerging composers
March 1, 2018
The Open Ears Festival is thrilled to announce its 2018 composition competition for emerging composers! The festival is seeking proposals for the premiere of a piece that is to take place at Victoria Park (Kitchener, ON) during the festival (May 30-June 3, 2018). The festival is seeking works that demonstrate elements and awareness of soundscape, the environment, improvisation, play with the space available, and are suitable for a non-traditional performance environment in which audience members can move about freely.
Eligibility & Requirements
· Composers must be Canadian citizens or permanent Canadian residents.
· Composers must be between the ages of 18-30.
· Works proposed must be suitable for open instrumentation, up to 99 players and to take place outdoors in a park.
· Works must be between 20-60 minutes in length.
· Proposals must be for acoustic composition, there will be no accommodation for compositions involving technology.
· Entrants must submit a proposal of approximately 400-500 words detailing the work.
· Entrants must submit 3 samples of work from no earlier than 2013 that vary in instrumentation.
· Submissions should include 1 proposal, 3 samples of previous works from no earlier than 2013 (including scores and audio/video if necessary), and brief biography of the composer. Please forward to “[email protected]”
· Composers may submit multiple entries.
· *All submissions must be received by March 1st, 2018
Visit the Open Ears website for full details.